Custom WordPress Development: Unlocking the Full Potential of Your Website
WordPress is one of the most popular Content Management Systems (CMS) out there – powering over 60% of all websites that use a CMS. It allows businesses and people to create and manage their websites. By having an extensive set of features, and a large developer community, it is no wonder that WordPress is a go-to selection for launching your digital presence.
With great flexibility and many features that come out-of-the-box, you may frequently encounter that the website can need custom functionality that goes beyond the core of the WordPress CMS. This is where
While WordPress provides a wide range of functionality out of the box, there are often times when a website requires custom functionality that goes beyond what is offered by the core WordPress platform. This is where Custom WordPress Development comes into play to meet specific needs.
Custom WordPress Development is the process of modifying or building new custom functionality and features for a website that is managed by WordPress CMS. This can encompass modifying or creating custom plugins, and themes or include various integrations with external systems and APIs.
Leverage the opportunity, or what are the benefits of Custom WordPress Development
With so many plug-and-play modules, and themes available, one can think what is the need for Custom WordPress Development, and what are the benefits. We will outline and explore some of the advantages below:
- Improved User Experience: Optimizing user journeys, and providing a seamless user experience is key for any website, custom development can help enable that by providing them with unique features or user flow. Let’s say you are an eCommerce owner, custom WordPress development could help to streamline the checkout experience and make the buyers’ journey gamified or more simple.
- Enhanced Functionality: Often times you could encounter that standard functions do not fit your goals, modifying existing modules or creating new ones can help to enhance the overall functionality of your website. For instance, you may want to integrate your website with a CRM like HubSpot, Monday or build a custom plugin to automate certain tasks.
- Increased Security: With so many WordPress CMS websites out there, there are equally that many bad actors that try to exploit them. Hardening the existing functionality or adding new custom-developed features on top will increase the overall security of your website.
- Elevating Brand Identity: We’ve all been there – creating a brand that matches your vision is not a straightforward task. More often than not, templates will not match the look and feel of your brand identity. Custom development can enable you to have a competitive edge by differentiating yourselves from competitors, making the website visitors’ experience a long-lasting impression.
What are the types of Custom WordPress Development
Good question. There are many avenues where custom development can come into play, including:
- Custom Plugins: a custom plugin or module is a piece of software or code that can be embedded into your WordPress website to provide new functionality. Plugins can be used for bookings and adding events, and forms amongst other features.
- Custom Themes: out-of-the-box themes provide a wide array of features, but those come at a cost of usability and performance. Custom themes firstly allow you to build a website that matches your brand identity, and most importantly, provides complete control over the user and admin flow, look&feel amongst other aspects.
- Custom Integrations: Custom integrations allow you to connect a WordPress Website to any other external system. These can range from CRM systems, payment providers, email marketing, or other platforms.
- Custom Widgets: Lastly, custom widgets can be embedded in your WordPress website to display various content for example Calendly, Instagram feed, Twitter, etc.
How to find a Developer for Your Custom WordPress Website
Imagine that you are trying to find a new employee – will he or she be the person that you enjoy working with, how do you build trust. Here are a few aspects when searching for a developer for your custom WordPress project:
- Expertise: The first part of the secret sauce is knowledge. The right person should have the needed expertise in the area of development that you are looking for. For example, if you need a custom theme developed, search for people that have gone through the process of custom theme development before.
- Success Stories: More often than not, developers have built a portfolio of their past projects. These will shed a light on the experience that the team has worked on. If you can’t find what you are looking for – always feel free to ask. Communication is key.
- Communication: The second part of the recipe is communication. Not only should be a person should be able to deliver, but it should also be a fun and enjoyable process for all. If you feel like you ‘click’ with the person that is easy to work with, and they have the expertise, it’s surely going to be a good journey!
- Cost: Now that all of the aspects above match, we come to the nitty gritty part of budgeting. Be mindful that there is a variety of moving parts to have a complete view of the budgets. The clearer idea that you have – the more precise estimations can be created. And, hey, if the cost doesn’t match the budget, perhaps there are ways to decrease them by prioritizing and removing functionality.
- Reviews and Testimonials: a good team will always have positive feedback from past clients. Look for developers that have good reviews, these can give you an idea of their reliability and the quality of work.
Now that we have mapped out the aspects to consider for hiring a Custom WordPress developer, it’s equally important to have a clear vision and scope of your project. Having this clearly defined before the start can help to fast-track the process. But don’t worry, if you are not tech-savvy and do not have all of the answers yourself – the right person can help to crystalize your vision and suggest the best ways to succeed.
Custom WordPress development can seem like a daunting and complex process, but it doesn’t have to be. With the right team, it can be a seamless and also incredibly rewarding journey. We hope that this article has provided insight on what is Custom WordPress Development, how to select the right team, and who knows, maybe we could collaborate, and build something great together.